Woefully belated. Endnoted up the wazoo. Marked lack of cutesy.
Click here for the HTML version, or head straight to the PDF:
(Updated noon-ish PST on August 3rd with typo corrections)
I’ll see what I can do about getting this set up in blog-post form, but I really don’t have the mental capacity to work on it right now. Sorry. In the meantime, here’s the table of contents so you know what you’re getting yourself into:
SECTION 1: Reiteration and Expansion of Criticisms
- Linkage of animal protein with cancer by way of cholesterol
- Misleading association of breast cancer with lipid intake and lipid intake with animal protein
- Supposition that plasma cholesterol increases liver cancer risk
- Misrepresentation of heart-protective effects of green vegetables, and the three-variable linkage between animal protein, apolipoprotein B, and cardiovascular disease
- Biased use of unadjusted univariate correlations to confer protective benefits of plant foods but not with animal foods
- Use of a three-variable chain to connect animal foods with “Western” diseases
- Unexplored role of blood glucose, insulin, and disease
- Dismissing relevant variables
- Errors in the extrapolation of casein to all animal protein
SECTION 2: Biological Models and Cited Papers
- Breast cancer
- Liver cancer
- Energy utilization
- Affluent-poverty diseases
SECTION 3: Response to Points Raised by Campbell
- Wheat: confounded variable or legitimate concern?
- Selection of univariate correlations and confirmation bias
- Tuoli county and erroneous data
- Whole-food, plant-based diets versus whole-food diets with animal products
And before anyone gets their knickers in a knot, listen up: Every time I employed a univariate correlation, it was because Campbell had done so first, under the same circumstances. Every. Time.
Also, this is sort of a pre-final version, and there may be typos (please point them out!) or orphaned punctuation (ditto). If I make any changes, I’ll post the updated version with a note.
Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to spend a very, very long time not staring at the computer screen, catching up on a couple weeks’ worth of sleep, and hopefully regrowing the little chunks of my soul that died while writing this. Adieu!